Love Brooklyn Libraries Inc, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit headquartered in Brooklyn, New York, is a public library advocacy group committed to protecting the accessibility of our libraries. We were founded in response to the demolition and downsizing of the Brooklyn Heights Library, also home to the Business and Career Library. The city plans to sell the public land of libraries to private developers. The Brooklyn Heights Library and replace the structure with a condominium tower containing more than 100 apartments, with prices starting at several million dollars. The public outcry and response against this decision has been very substantial and positive. We are committed to standing up for our community and fighting this decision.
When developing the plan, Hudson Companies disregarded the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) by not preparing an Environmental Impact Statement.
LOVE Brooklyn Libraries Inc. believes that there will be a substantial negative impact on the surrounding neighborhood including:
- High levels of local traffic, and increased cumulative impact on traffic from other nearby developments
- Blockage of sunlight to nearby Cadman Plaza Park and residential buildings across Clinton Street
- Overcrowding of Brooklyn Heights schools
- Loss of Business & Career Library and the federal document depository from the civic center of Brooklyn
- Air pollution
LOVE Brooklyn Libraries Inc. filed a lawsuit, alleging violation of SEQRA. We are currently in appellate court.
Love Brooklyn Libraries Inc is dedicated to preserving the accessibility of Brooklyn Public Library locations in New York City. An integral part of community life, the library is a place where all kinds of people come to learn, read, communicate, grow, and enhance quality of life. In addition to saving our local library, the Brooklyn Heights branch, we are passionate about promoting library development and advancement on a larger scale and maintaining the environment where libraries stand.
- To save the Brooklyn Heights Library and Brooklyn Business and Career Library
- To advocate for preserving libraries from demolition and disposal
- To encourage and ensure that Brooklyn Public Libraries continue to be available to the public
- To ensure that libraries remain a viable and integral part of community life